Fright Fest

Acrophobia – Fear of Heights

Arachnophobia – Fear of Spiders

Autophobia – Fear of Being Alone

What was the biggest challenge you encountered during this assignment and how did you overcome it?

The biggest challenge I encountered during this assignment was editing the photos. I had the most trouble editing the arachnophobia photo, as I was having trouble properly photoshopping the spider. Whenever I tried to edit the spider into the photo, it would just look out of place due to the brightness/contrast of the spider or because of the shadow I tried adding to it. However, I was able to overcome this with photoshop’s generative ai feature. Using this feature, I was able to highlight certain parts of my spider to either add a shadow or fix the brightness of it to have it match the rest of the photo.

3 Thoughts.

1. I think it’s kind of funny. The emotion on the face is well portrayed as fear with the spider in the background. It has real depth to it.
    I think you could make it a little more creepy. This is because I don’t see how that spider is scary. It just looks goofy to me.
    Maybe make the background more dark and cavernous. Something like that or an abandoned place with cobwebs. I think that would cover up some flaws with the photoshopped spider.

2. What I like most about this photo is that Xavier did a great job of making it seem like he was looking down and that he was high up. He only had to show his feet because of the black space by him. By this alone, you can see the drop off because of the black space. One thing he could have done better is show more space. You kind of have to infer that he is above because some people may not know this. It still is pretty obvious but could maybe not be knowledgeable for some people. One piece of advice I have for the photographer to help him make his work better next time is to just make sure everything is balanced. The picture is very good and I like it a lot. You just have to make sure everything makes sense but this picture is really good.

3. I like that you were able to make the spider look very real. It is impressive to see a realistic spider chansing a student. I also like the emotions on the students face. I think maybe you could have added dark clouds in the background to add an uncomfortable effect. It could have intensitfied the creepiness of the spider. The bright sky does not make it as scary as it could be. I think next time you could focus on the background of photos. Backgrounds are very important for photographs. Coloring could also be a factor to work on.